|Through proper data processing, tested and validated in the installation sites, the counts acquired by the detectors are continuously compared to the set alarm thresholds; if a threshold is exceeded, the system immediately gives a warning to the operator through acoustic and luminous indications.
The detectors are installed in a portal configuration, the holding structures for the detectors placed at the sides of the passageway. The number of detection units can be adapted to the required sensitivity and to the expected vehicle type or measurement geometry; in particular, 4 detectors can be used instead of the standard 2. Each detection unit is composed of a high-efficiency plastic scintillator facing the passageway, coupled with a photomultiplier and the electronics for HV and signal processing. The detector sides which are not faced towards the measurement area (the passageway) are properly shielded, to lower the environmental background value and to improve the system sensitivity. A set of position detectors, at the entrance and at the exit of the passageway, detects the vehicle’s transit and calculate its speed.
|The detectors are connected to a power supply and acquisition module that provides power supply to the detection units and the position detectors, acquires the counts coming from the detectors, and provides system status outputs through relays. It can be installed up to a 1 km distance from the detection units; it is connected to the control console (desktop PC), which allows to completely manage the system through the very simple and user-friendly visual software.
The software processes the measurements with proper calculation algorithms, capable of distinguish the alarm events and to hedge the false alarms. The continuous background monitoring, and its subtraction from the measurements, are automatically carried out. The alarm events are stored in the memory and they can be recalled through the software for consultation and printing.
GALILEO 9900 Series
The GALILEO 9900 system is designed to automatically monitor the load of vehicles (trucks or rail wagons on weighting stations) passing through its structure, and to detect any radioactive contamination due to the presence of gamma emitting radionuclide.
The standard system is composed of: 2 detector units, a power supply / acquisition rack, and a control PC.
- Large, high sensitivity plastic scintillators for gamma radiation detection
- Configurable for best compliance to layout and vehicles specifications
- Detectors efficiency (each, Cs-137): 150 kcps/µSv/h
- False alarm rate: 1:10'000
- Continuous monitoring and automatic environmental background subtraction
- Pass-through speed control
- Management and archive of alarm and malfunctioning events, with local display and (upon request) remote indications
- Automatic e-mail sending of the measurement report in pdf
- Ethernet communication for remote monitoring and teleservice (during the warranty)
- Connectable to vehicle plate readers or cameras for picture acquisition
- Available relays for safety devices connection (interlock, alarm indicators…)