Neutron detectors - based on BF3 / HE3 probes or 6LiF-covered Silicon diodes
This category includes all the available neutron detectors up to date. Depending on the amount and quality of information provided about the stray radiation field, they can be divided in:
- Dose rate meters, which provide the information on-line (LUPIN 5401 NP)
- Multi-sphere neutron spectrometer, which provide the information about the energy distribution of the neutron field off-line, by using a dedicated unfolding software (BONNER SPHERE SPECTROMETER)
- Single-sphere neutron spectrometer (SP2)
These instruments, used as stand-alone devices or connected from various stations of a network to a central monitoring unit, are employed as monitoring systems or for radiation surveys in nuclear power plants, particle accelerator environment or in the surroundings of radiotherapy linear accelerators, where the presence of the neutron field cannot be neglected.
The environmental monitoring unit LUPIN 5401 is a modular system for neutron H*(10) measurements, with excellent performance for detection in pulsed neutron fields.
The instrument is composed by the following parts:
- Neutron Proportional Counter: 3He (LUPIN 5401 HE3-NP) or BF3 (LUPIN 5401 BF3-NP);
- Spherical or cylindrical polyethylene moderator (with optional Pb layer)
- Built-in Power Supply, Signal Acquisition and Processing, and Control Electronics.
BONES is a flexible, lightweight, easy to manipulate and heat resistant polymer, containing a variable concentration of natural Boron, up to 25% in weight. Boron (in particular the Boron-10 isotope, whose natural abundance is 20%) has a high capture cross-section for thermal neutrons (3835 barn), which means that BONES has an excellent attenuation factor for thermal neutrons, up to 300.