|The system features an extremely high counting efficiency, making it suitable to perform neutron spectrometry and absolute flux measurement for applications such as:
|W-PIE employs 6Li as neutron converter, 4He as scintillating medium, and 24 independent low-voltage SiPMs as photosensitive components. The detector is surrounded by increasingly thick moderating assemblies, defining 4 detection sub-volumes each optimised for a specific spectral region. Signals are acquired and analysed by the built-in electronics and unfolding algorithm, or they can be saved as raw data for off-line analysis.
The response function of W-PIE, calculated via Monte Carlo simulations, is available for either on-line and off-line analysis. The response function and unfolding algorithm have been validated after thoroughly testing with reference radioactive sources, with quasi-monoenergetic neutron fields, and in the high-energy reference neutron field facility CERF at CERN.
WIDE ENERGY ACTIVE NEUTRON SPECTROMETER
The W-PIE neutron spectrometer is a unique device designed for on-line neutron spectrometry measurements.
- All-in-one, single-assembly neutron spectrometer
- Extremely high counting efficiency
- Field-oriented, outdoor applications
- 3He-free, low-voltage SiPM-based readout
- Automatic, on-line spectrum unfolding
- From thermal neutrons up to 10 GeV (or 100 MeV)
- Extreme sensitivity: up to 4 kcph background