|Through the comparison between the neutrons detected by each sphere, it is possible to determine the incident neutron energies. These data are processed by an unfolding code, which provides the neutron spectrum.
A special set is available upon request to extend the energy range up to 10 GeV.
Each sphere is connected to a specifically designed pre-amplification and adjustment module (PREAMP-N-HV) that provides a TTL pulse output completely compatible with the connected digital counting system.
|The central acquisition box is based on 8-CH TTL hi speed DIO modules, a real-time processor and a reconfigurable field-programmable gate array. The central box is connected to a PC through an Ethernet cable, and is programmed to continuously acquire the counts coming from the detectors, also when the acquisition PC is off.
A user-friendly dedicated acquisition software is installed on the PC; it allows to start and stop the measurements as defined by the set parameters, and to store them in tabulated text files. The software allows also to modify the parameters and to visualize the saved data.
The data are stored in the main folder of the archives, which includes a sub-folder for every year.
BONNER SPHERES SPECTROMETER
- Published in Neutron detectors - based on BF3 / HE3 probes or 6LiF-covered Silicon diodes
- Download attachments: DAT_BONNSPH_EN_1.04.pdf
The Bonner sphere spectrometer consists in an array of thermal neutron detectors (3He proportional counters), each housed in a spherical polyethylene moderator of different dimensions.
- Detectors: 3He proportional counters
- Moderators: HD polyethylene, spherical, from Ø 3” to Ø 18”
- Accessory set for energy range extension up to 10 GeV
- Ethernet connection between central box and PC
- User-friendly operational software
- Settable measuring parameters
- Data storage and graphic/numeric display
- Exportable archived data (ASCII files)
- Optional special electronics for use in pulsed fields